Wondering what tool you can use in Blackboard Learn 9.1 and WebCT CE8 to assist in discouraging plagiarized content from being submitted or check on a student’s paper you may considered to be plagiarized?
SafeAssign™ is a plagiarism prevention service, offered by Blackboard. This service helps educators prevent plagiarism by detecting unoriginal content in student papers. In addition to acting as a plagiarism deterrent, it also has features designed to aid in educating students about plagiarism and importance of proper attribution of any borrowed content.
How Does it Work?
SafeAssign can be used in two ways.
- Instructors can set up SafeAssignments in their Blackboard courses and let students submit papers to these assignments. As students submit papers, they are checked against SafeAssign’s comprehensive databases of source material. The papers will then be delivered to instructors through the Blackboard Learning System together with the originality reports, with the results of the matching process, attached to them.
- Instructors may upload papers directly with the Direct Submit feature, without student involvement.
SafeAssign checks all submitted papers against the following databases:
- Internet – comprehensive index of documents available for public access on the Internet
- ProQuest ABI/Inform database with over 1,100 publication titles and about 2.6 million articles from ’90s to present time, updated weekly (exclusive access)
- Institutional document archives containing all papers submitted to SafeAssign by users in their respective institutions
- Global Reference Database containing papers that were volunteered by students from Blackboard client institutions to help prevent cross-institutional plagiarism.
SafeAssign generates an Originality Report with the results of the Matching process. >>View Sample Report
Information gathered from http://safeassign.com/
SafeAssign (WebCT CE8) Tutorial for Faculty By Valencia’s LTAD
Testimonials from universities adopting SafeAssign
“The decision to continue on with SafeAssign as the supported solution was made after a year of careful consideration including comparison of the two products, a two-phase pilot implementation and survey of the user community. In addition, SafeAssign is included in our existing Blackboard license, thereby offering considerable financial benefits in the form of recovered Turnitin costs.”
Central Michigan University
“In fact, many prefer SafeAssign’s opt-in provision which means that student papers are not included in a global database unless they specifically permit it”
San Diego State University
“Because of increased concern over plagiarism in the digital age, the University has been offering instructors a Web-based plagiarism detection tool called Turnitin. After an extensive review of several Web-based detection services and an analysis of our current usage, the Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and the Office of Information Technology (OIT) have chosen to not renew the University’s license with Turnitin and will instead offer the plagiarism detection service SafeAssign.”
University of Minnesota
Blackboard’s SafeAssign Feature Brochure. Download Brochure [PDF].
How to create a SafeAssign Assignment in Blackboard
How to view the results of a SafeAssign Assignment in Blackboard