Happy New Year and welcome to another exciting semester at Valencia!
We wanted to provide you with some helpful as you begin teaching with Blackboard Learn 9.1. We’ve also included additional information about services available through OIT’s Learning Technology & Alternative Delivery Department. Most important are the resources which we’ve created for you and our students to facilitate the online learning experience in Blackboard.
Resources for Students
Valencia Online Student Resources
We encourage faculty to utilize the Valencia Online Student Resources website to help support your students. This site contains tips and requirements for working in the online environment, student conduct and responsibility, tutorials, and links to collegewide support resources to help students be successful. You may want to place this hyperlink directly in your course menu to help students more readily locate these resources: http://valenciacc.edu/oit/ltad/StudentResources/ . You are encouraged to add this resource to your course welcome email as well.
Blackboard 9.1 Learn
Additionally, Friday afternoon (1/7/2011) we will be sending out an email to all students registered for courses being taught in Blackboard Learn 9.1. This email will contain links to login instructions, details about the “Valencia Online 101 – Student Experience” course, the new Student Resources Website, and instructions on how to access technical support. We encourage you to share these resources with students in your course welcome documents.
Visit our blog about Student Resources http://wp.me/p10K47-79
**Remember: Students will gain access to your course in Blackboard on the first day of the term. Access to the Valencia 101 course is persistent and students have access year round.
Resources for Faculty
Learning Technology Centers @ Campus
We are fortunate to have several centers available to faculty for assistance by walk-in or by appointment. We can help faculty with Atlas, Class Rosters, student communications, WebCT/Blackboard support and much more. Often our adjuncts find the centers useful as a workspace when on campus. It is often just good to know that help is a shout away.
NEW Resources & Staff!!!
We are pleased to announce the addition of a new Learning Technology Center at our Winter Park Campus! Welcome aboard Lee Lucia as our new Manager at Winter Park. Additionally we have added a new part-time staff member, Mr. Ronald Ginn to our Osceola Campus support. We will continue to seek opportunities to support the growing needs of the Valencia Online community.
Instructional Design Services
Our team is charged with assisting faculty in identifying and integrating technology tools for excellence in a learning-centered academic environment. Beyond offering faculty training, our team facilitates the development and design of web-enhanced, hybrid and online courses in accordance with Quality Matters standards. We assist faculty in designing learning environments addressing multiple learning styles and best practices for student engagement and authentic assessment. This semester we are offering support on every campus every Wednesday or by appointment.
For faculty wishing to enhance courses with multimedia and instructional video, we encourage you to visit with our Productions staff. Our team will help you determine the right tools to support your educational objectives and walk you through the process of creating materials for your classes. Valencia faculty members are now able to create a personal presence in the online learning environment. From a class orientation to a video lecture in which you may embed from Power Point slides to video clips, we can help you deliver face to face interaction, until now, only possible in the classroom. We also have an audio booth to facilitate voice narration of PowerPoints, Captivate or Camtasia files without the interruptions typically found in an office setting. To request services, please visit http://bit.ly/ValenciaProductionRequest
Blackboard Learn 9.1 Training
As Valencia continues our migration from WebCT CE 8 to Blackboard Learn 9.1, our team has worked hard to create a variety of support resources to assist you in successfully implementing this new tool. See the Training Calendar under the Technology Section for spring offerings. Faculty are encouraged to participate in our Spring Training Offerings. Several Options are available:
- Blackboard Essentials Self-Paced is available to every Valencia employee. You can access this course by visiting: http://bit.ly/BlackboardEssentialsSelfPaced and entering your atlas username & password to access the materials.
- LTAD 3282 Blackboard Essentials – This course will provide the fundamentals necessary to work within the new Blackboard Learn 9.1 system. It is offered over a four-week period of time and available in both hybrid and online/virtual formats.
Online, Synchronous, Multi-Week Courses (required virtual meeting):
- Jan 20- Feb 17 2011, CRN 2249 (meets every Thurs 3-4pm Virtually)*
- Feb 16- Mar 23 2011, CRN 2263 (meets every Wed 5-6pm Virtually)*
- Mar 23- Apr 20 2011, CRN 2267 (meets every Wed 5-6pm Virtually)*
Hybrid, Synchronous, Multi-Week Courses (required lab meetings – on campus):
- Jan 18- Feb 14 2011, CRN 2248 (meets every Mon 1-3pm WEC 2-112)*
- Jan 18- Feb 15 2011, CRN 2242 (meets every Tues 1-3pm EAC 8-213)*
- Jan 19- Feb 16 2011, CRN 2247 (meets every Wed 1-3pm OSC 2-116)*
- Feb 14- Mar 21 2011, CRN 2261 (meets every Mon 1-3pm WEC 2-112) *
- Feb 15- Mar 22 2011, CRN 2262 (meets every Tues 1-3pm EAC 8-213)*
- Feb 16- Mar 23 2011, CRN 2264 (meets every Wed 1-3pm OSC 2-116)*
- Mar 21- Apr 18 2011, CRN 2265 (meets every Mon 1-3pm WEC 2-112)*
- Mar 22- Apr 19 2011, CRN 2266 (meets every Tues 1-3pm EAC 8-213)*
- Mar 23- Apr 20 2011, CRN 2268 (meets every Wed 1-3pm OSC 2-116)*
*Please note the start date is when the course becomes available in Blackboard to review the orientation video and other important resources prior to attending the first facilitated session the following week.
- LTAD 2280 Selected Topics in Blackboard Essentials Workshops – These offerings are intended to be a quick, face-to-face, 2 credit hour session designed to help faculty master one single concept or skill in the Blackboard 9.1 Course Management Environment. The following sessions have been scheduled for our Spring 2011 semester:
o Topic – Navigating Blackboard 9.1:
- Jan 21, 2011, CRN 2246, 9-11am WEC 2-112
- Mar 25, 2011, CRN 2256, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Adding Content to your BB9.1 Course:
- Jan 28, 2011, CRN 2250, 9-11am WEC 2-112
- Mar 18, 2011, CRN (2281), 10am-noon WPK 105
- Apr 1, 2011, CRN 2257, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Communication Tools in BB9.1:
- Feb 4, 2011, CRN 2251, 9-11am WEC 2-112
- Mar 25, 2011, CRN (2282), 10am-noon WPK 105
- Apr 8, 2011, CRN 2258, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Assignments & Assessments in BB9.1:
- Feb 18, 2011, CRN 2252, 9-11am WEC 2-112
- Apr 1, 2011, CRN (2283), 10am-noon WPK 105
- Apr 15, 2011, CRN 2259, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Using the BB9.1 Grade Center:
- Feb 25, 2011, CRN 2253, 9-11am WEC 2-112
- Apr 22, 2011, CRN (2284), 10am-noon WPK 105
- Apr 22, 2011, CRN 2260, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Monitoring Student Performance in BB9.1:
- Mar 4, 2011, CRN 2254, 9-11am WEC 2-112
o Topic: Maximizing Groupwork in BB9.1:
- Mar 18, 2011, CRN 2255, 9-11am WEC 2-112
Additional Support Resources Available:
- We’ve added a “Featured Video” link to our homepage http://valenciacc.edu/oit/ltad/ which will be updated regularly with new tips and tricks. These will be added into the self-paced course as well.
- Blackboard 9.1 Learn project site is available and updated frequently. Be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed to stay on top of news and activities surrounding the migration project. http://valenciacc.edu/oit/ltad/instructTools/blackboard/
The Learning Technology & Alternative Delivery team is ready to support our faculty. The most valuable asset we have is the knowledgeable, patient staff. For more about what our team can assist you with, please visit: http://valenciacc.edu/oit/ltad/
Angelique Smith, M.Ed.
Director, Learning Technology & Alternative Delivery