Ok, so hopefully we have your attention. If you are still teaching in WebCT CE8 this Spring semester, it is time to start making plans for summer. Let’s call it Spring Cleaning or a New Year’s Resolution…out with the old and in with the new.
Valencia has been actively working towards our upgrade to Blackboard 9.1 since early 2010. Faculty first began training in the upgraded system in June 2010. More than 165 faculty taught using Blackboard 9.1 this fall. There are 960 sections which are scheduled to be offered in Blackboard 9.1 this spring. Blackboard permits us to run CE8 and 9.1 Learn in a parallel environment for a period of one year from the date we installed the new version. Spring 2011 is the last semester we will be teaching in two different versions of this software.
What does this mean to faculty?
- We will continue to operate both CE8 and BB9.1 until the end of Spring 2011 Semester.
- Faculty will have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of resources to help prepare to utilize the new system. This includes LTAD 3282 Blackboard Essentials (both facilitated or self-paced), weekly 2-hr special topics workshops, and migration support through our Learning Technology Centers. Visit our training blog for additional information: Training Opportunities Spring 2011
Faculty will be able to access their course materials and create backups until May 28, 2011 at 11:00pm. After that date, all materials will need to be in BB9.1.
- All Valencia courses (regardless of instructional method) will be taught in BB9.1 Learn starting with Summer 2011 courses (no exceptions).
- We have added a countdown clock to the Online Courses Channel in Atlas to help raise awareness of WebCT’s end of life. This clock is only viewable by faculty.
- In the event of grade disputes, Valencia system administrators will be able to assist you in recovering your data and helping you to access the required information to investigate the dispute.
- All summer 2011 courses have been loaded into Blackboard and are ready for you to begin development on your course materials.
We realize that this has been a major challenge over the past year. With your continued support and cooperation we will successfully complete this migration.